An OLPC Kenya XO Project Challenge
Some good news. Sandra and Jane are organising a an XO club challenge to be held this year in Kisumu Kenya in August. We are excited. Eshibinga kids think they just have to win this. We have several projects we have been working on and we shall choose one of them and show case it to the other teams come August. here below are the rules of the challenge.
Your school team can be a winner of the “Kenya OLPC Showcase”.
Three winning projects will be selected to attend AMSTREF summer Science and Math camp and showcase your project.
Select a topic which has impact on your life and community. Use to XO laptop to research, record, document the issue and create a report. Explain the science behind the issue, and make recommendations for what action the community might take to improve or support this issue.
Projects will be rated on the quality of the report and its presentation. Also rated will be the full and creative use of XO Sugar Activities.
Send a single paragraph summary of the proposed project by email Sandra@smallsolutionsbigideas.org
• Selected Topic.
• What is the benefit to your community or school from the information or material you have put in this topic.
• How the topic will be presented and which Sugar Activities will be used.
The Final Projects Send by Email or use Dropbox for large files.
Three Projects Will be Selected Based on the following
• Educational and Community Impact of Your Information
• Creative use of the Sugar Activities
• Quality of the Material
Presentation: These can be done as Sugar Write Reports with photos and written research. Videos, Animation in Scratch or eToys, Fototoon. Songs or Poetry Recorded on the XO.
• Agriculture:Choose a crop, and learn about what it needs to grow in a healthy way, what are its nutritional benefits, how is it grown in your community. Are families and farmers able to receive income from growing this crop?
• EnvironmentWater: How efficiently is water used in your community. What are the problems with getting enough clean water?
• Trash: How does the trash thrown into the roadsides, streets, grass affect the environment.
• Health How does this disease affect your community: the economic, the social impact. Interview people in your community affected by these diseases, tell their story. Use the XO and Sugar activities.HIV/AIDs, Malaria, Jiggers